Wednesday, July 17, 2013

from REMINISCENCES OF CHILDHOOD



This was also a school assignment, we were asked to use a template and make it our own. 

from REMINISCENCES OF CHILDHOOD
by Me

             The memories of childhood have no order, and so I remember our endless hours in our kingdom surrounded by trees and mountains and enormous rocks. The leaves of every shape and color, bugs of every size and texture. The aroma of thousands of flowers filled the air, and I was surrounded by the sounds of the great outdoors, the innocence of childhood. The greenest of grasses underneath my feet, and the sky above my head, a vibrant blue. Leaping and soaring, laughing and roaring - making mud pies and forts, taking part in activities of all sorts. Until the moment we dread occurs, it's time to go inside for the night. We drag our feet, mourning each step. Once inside we run into my room and turn on a movie- The Land Before Time.

            “Quick. Pretend to be asleep so you can spend the night!”

            “Okay, but don't you dare fall asleep and leave me by myself in the dark with the dinosaurs.”
           
            “I won't, I've stayed up till ten once.”

            “I've stayed up till midnight before.”

            “Yeah, well I've stayed up for 1,000 days!”

Trading our secrets and stories, our Pokemon cards, and our dreams, as soon as we have convinced our parents for a sleep over.

            My room comes alive when we hear that it is a go. The lights expose the full contents of my room; a blanket of dust on the book shelf that holds our childhood memories, stuffed animals surrounding us from every direction, and a large cold glass window that is our drawing board. We're free of worries, dreaming as if anything was possible.
           
            “Look over there; you see that stuffed animal, the one in the corner?”
           
            “You mean the orange cat?”
           
            “Yep, one day I'm going to be a cat. Only I may decide to be a different color. Maybe I'll be a red cat, or a blue one. ”

            I stroll out of my room, my tail swishing against everything in sight. I’m taking in fragrances I wasn't aware of before, sensing new textures, and realizing that I will never have a quiet moment again with these ears of mine. Deciding then to descend to the floor, taking in the moment, knowing all I'll have to worry about is eating, sleeping, and playing. 
           
            And then I start to stir, not wanting to awake, but I realize I have to. For I am not a cat, I cannot just sleep, eat, and play; I can't stay outside all day or sit around making up stories and sharing my dreams. It is time to fulfill them. It is time to abandon my room, the shelter I had once known; and it is time to give up my throne to the kingdom. It’s time to move on, into an abyss of the unknown.  

            The memories of childhood have no order, and no end.         

No comments:

Post a Comment